Skip to main content

to have new posts delivered by email.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Categories
Search Blog

Powered by
BlogCFM v1.14

Trucker Talk

20 May 2008
Jevic Transportation Out of Business

Jevic Transportation Out of Business

Jevic Transportation has closed it's doors.  Here is the letter posted on their website.

Dear Valued Jevic Customer:

I regret to inform you that Jevic Transportation Inc. will be discontinuing operations. The current high fuel costs, economic downturn, increasing insurance costs, and tightening credit markets have made this decision necessary. Jevic will stop providing pickup service effective Monday 5/19/08. However, we will continue operating to deliver all freight within our system prior to closing.

Operations and Customer Service:

• Jevic will not be accepting pickup requests after Friday 5/16/08 and the web and EDI pickup functions will be disabled.
  • We will continue to provide Customer Service through the wind down period at 888-Go-Jevic. We ask that you please utilize the automated voice response system as much as possible as the number of calls is expected to be high and there will be longer hold times.
  • The Jevic website will remain active and will be updated during the period as well and that should be your primary point of contact for tracing and needed documentation.

We greatly appreciate the loyalty of our many Jevic customers. It has been our pleasure to provide solutions to your transportation needs over these many years. We are committed to providing the prompt delivery of your shipments in our system and professional customer service for all your needs during this process. Thank you again.

Sincerely,

David H. Gorman
President and CEO

Sadly there was also a note to their employees.

Dear Jevic Employee,

The group health insurance plans will be discontinued effective May 19, 2008 for all Jevic employees, as  the Jevic Transportation Inc. Welfare Benefit Plan has been terminated. This includes the cessation of  your medical, prescription, dental, and vision coverage. Any medical, dental, or vision services  performed after May 19th, or any prescriptions filled after that date, among other things, that would have  previously been covered by the Jevic plans, will not be eligible for reimbursement or coverage.

It goes on but the news is all bad.  Jevic was ranked No. 71 in last year’s Transport Topics 100 listing of U.S. and Canadian for-hire carriers. Jevic was purchased by a private-equity firm -  Sun Capital Partners in 2006 for $40 million.  One wonders if they are going out of business to liquidate assets that might be worth more than $40 million.

Posted by george wilkins at 6:45 AM  |  LINK to this post  |  17 comment s  |  Subscribe

Not only did they shadily dis-continue health care benefits for their employees, but they did so through the website 48 hours in advance. If you didn't happen to check the company website daily (because we all do that, right?) you were surprised with news at the last minute. Many of these employees were shafted (for lack of a better word) and I'm sure many of them had serious health care concerns and/or medication that was a necessity to their livelihood. I've also heard through the pipeline that they will be unable to carry their benefits over to the COBRA plan...... beyond sad and pitiful is what it is.
Posted by [email protected] dane-ny on May 20, 2008 at 10:21 AM

MY HUSBAND A JEVIC EMPLOYEE SINCE 1991 WAS ON VACATION 5/12-5/17 THIS TIME WAS PRIOR TO BUNKRUPTCY(OR SO WE BELIVE) AND THEY PAID US 1/3 OF PAY DUE AFTER TAKING OUT BENIFITS YES I SAID BENIFITS WE RECIEVED A PAY CHECK OF $300 YES PLEASE DO FEEL BAD FOR ALL THE EMPLOYEES OF WHAT WAS ONCE A GREAT CO
Posted by GEORGEANN PATAKY on May 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Georgeann - it won't help now, but the lawsuit may provide some payback later. We wish you well.
Posted by george wilkins on May 23, 2008 at 5:33 AM

I do feel for the truckers and the other workers. They are getting royally screwed. Why doesn't the federal and various state governments give them jobs building and engineering trains, tracks and trolleys? Oh that makes too much common sense. We need to transport people and freight on trains once again. [email protected] Neil Lori Common Sense Program.
Posted by Neil Lori on May 23, 2008 at 11:20 AM

this is sad news, having worked for jevic for many years. my heart goes out to those who have lost their jobs. many will not be able to find employment in today's marketplace.
Posted by John W on June 5, 2008 at 9:35 AM

At the time Jevik went out of business I was on FMLA leave with a serious illness, guess what, I now do not have insurance. I have to go to the county hospital because I cant file for unemployment because I'm not able to work, it stipulates you must be able to look for work. Thanks Jevik
Posted by Ed on September 13, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Medical claims prior to May 19th, are not being paid. United Health says because Jevic was self insured, there was no funds available for any claims received after 5/19 regardless of dates of service. I have unpaid claims back to March 2008, What do I do now.? 18 yrs w/jevic. J.Ruth
Posted by JAMES RUTH on December 15, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Anyone have information on how we prove employment with Jevic? My wife lost the letter...
Posted by Dan Lazenby on January 5, 2009 at 8:19 AM

We are also having issues with unpaid medical claims, causing a LOT of problems.
Posted by Dan Lazenby on January 5, 2009 at 3:09 PM

what about earnings from last year -will they be reporting and mailing them to us - anybody know?
Posted by Valerie on January 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM

we are wondering the same thing... will they be sending out W2's for 2008 earnings? how can we get this info? how can we file taxes without this?
Posted by frank on January 24, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Its such a shame that greed was the main culprit in Jevic shutting down. The Economy is really bad but how many trucking companies went out of business? Sadly enough Sun Capital Partners must be the main culprit here. I sincerely hope everyone makes out ok with a job, myself included. Jevic was a great company before it was sold.
Posted by Vince Leone on January 26, 2009 at 12:36 PM

If anyone has any w-2 info please let everyone know
Posted by ddunlap on January 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I worked on the dock at the Chicago terminal from March 2005 until December 2006. It was a great gig and the freight was stacked to the ceiling. There were people on that dock that gave over 20 years and now have nothing to show for it. Sun Capital was the down fall of Jevic.
Posted by deyerseve69 on February 9, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Jevic put a 2 inch scar above my left eye, let them rest in peace.
Posted by Daniel E. Hormann on March 24, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Outten and Gloden, llp in New York are the lawers filing a law suit for the Jevic employes their number is 212-245-1000 everyone needs to get involved in this suit. I worked for Jevic for 3 years and was out 6 weeks strait, when I went home on thursday they called on Friday and told me not to come back. Then they took my truck to Chicago that evening with all my belongings in it. Great co. right? Does anyone know of any jobs? our unemployement has ran out.
Posted by Micheal Gregory on March 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM

sun did the samething to jevic that they did to sam goode sell off all the assets told ya this was going to happen
Posted by al b on May 7, 2009 at 8:28 AM