Buy A Deckmate Ladder

Buy a Deckmate Ladder

to have new posts delivered by email.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Categories
Search Blog

Powered by
BlogCFM v1.14

Trucker Talk

28 April 2008
What a Truck Boycott Means to Americans

We're counting down the minutes to the start of the Enough Is Enough nationwide truck boycott. D-Day is Thursday, May 1. Rallies and boycotts are expected across the country. Truckers who rallied today in Washington DC are already on their way to New York for a May Day rally.

A lot of Americans are supporting truckers, but many Americans are clueless. They don't seem to think a truck boycott will impact on their lives. Well, they're wrong. Trucks carry most of America's goods. A truck boycott means empty shelves in the store. If you need a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk, come Thursday we're hoping you'll have a hard time finding it at your local Wal-Mart.

As diesel prices and economic factors push up the cost of food and other goods, "It needs to be made clear independent drivers are not benefiting from these rises in prices," said OOIDA spokesowman Norita Taylor.

"The average person doesn't know how $4 diesel gas prices can affect their life," American Farm Bureau economist Jim Sartwelle told the Tampa Tribune. The intent of the truck boycott "is for people to go to the store, see something's not there and see a link," he explained. "The cost of filling a semi has doubled in a short period of time. It's been tough on them." Amen!

Posted by keep on truckin' at 8:46 PM  |  LINK to this post  |  6 comment s  |  Subscribe

Truckers, why are you demonstrating in Washington? Do you want GOVERNMENT to fix this problem. After all, government IS the problem (remember Reagan?). This is the free-market, kids. Get over it.
Posted by goi on April 29, 2008 at 11:42 AM

I have been telling anyone that will listen that I think a truckers shut-down for 48 hours would get everyone's attention. I appreciate all that truckers do for all Americans. I just don't think most people stop and think how stores get their goods. They don't just magically appear. Thank you truckers for your hard work. I will definitely support what ever you do. By the way, why has no one addressed the fact that diesel is a by-product of gasoline and is cheaper to produce. Wake-up folks, the big companies just want to get richer. I'm all for corporations making money, but not making obscene amounts of money, as they are now making. Keep up the hard work and I'll try to help pass the word on the boycott.
Posted by Kay Fulmer on April 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM

With a nation wide shutdown, say of 2 or 3 months, a stone age would descend on the US -- with devastating consequences for which it would never truly recover. Having all countries pull there investments in the US in a closely timed fashion would pale in comparison. Remember well the saying "if you have it, a truck brought it." Have that line run through your mind good and hard. If the Congress can do that, it would be a plus. We already know the American people, if the media would bust a move on this issue and put it on the front burner before their fuel runs out, it would help. The tuckers hauling fuel can always just wait and wait until it turns to karacine and give it to the airlines, who have also been devastated by the price of fuel. Problem is, if nobody can drive to the airports because of the gas stations being out of fuel, what's the point. Hint: Get your selves bicycles. Stock up on canned goods with a very futuristic expiration date. Have plenty of batteries. When your local utility cuts off electricity, (fuel rate, remember?) pray they have the foresight to make back-ups of all their account numbers. Maybe the congress will work together and do something if the lights flicker a little. This is the tip of the iceburg, “globlewarming” not withstanding. Note well: I am NOT a turcker. Now -- imagine what they could tell you that will -- I mean could happen.
Posted by John Laughlin on April 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM

The key to the success of this boycott is organization. I just hope that this is well organized. Without full participation, the chances of success are slim. Something has to be done, but at a minimum of additional out of pocket expense to the driver/truck owners. Good luck, I hope that it works!!!
Posted by marc hess on April 30, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I'm not so sure anyone realizes the impact a shutdown will cause , except for the truckers . I have allready put up my supplies . So lets go guys and make this thing happen!! , I just can't see any other way to make some people listen.We have a lot of support out here more than I think we know..
Posted by Big Al on April 30, 2008 at 4:54 PM

DISCOVER how to save money on all petroleum-based fuels, help clean the air ! 100% Guaranteed or your money back! This offer is made because driving millions of miles has shown this product really works! http://fuelsolution.ws
Posted by fuelsolution on September 9, 2008 at 6:19 AM