Buy A Deckmate Ladder

Buy a Deckmate Ladder

to have new posts delivered by email.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Categories
Search Blog

Powered by
BlogCFM v1.14

Trucker Talk

16 July 2007
Autoshift - Freightliner Autoshift Questions

We have a member that needs info about Autoshift Transmissions.....

Hello every1,

I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me a little more about the autoshift transmissions that are found on some rigs, perferrebly the Freightliners. I am trying to get into the trucking industry as a O/O. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Also if any1 has websites that has such info.. Jim

If anyone can help him, please make a comment.

Posted by TruckerJim at 2:38 PM  |  LINK to this post  |  21 comment s  |  Subscribe

I have driven one at our school that has over 250,000 miles on it and it shifts pretty sweet. It's push-button controll. You can also shift manualy by selecting manual and push the button to select the next gear or auto and it shifts up and down by it's self Haven't driven one with a load on I'm still training . Hope this help's alittle. Chuck H
Posted by countryboy1 on July 16, 2007 at 5:26 PM

The auto shift is a great advantage for many reasons: 1. It is set up to reduce wear and tear on the drivetrain 2.The computer controls the shifting so you get maximum efficiency and performance(Saves Fuel=Money in your pocket) 3. Lets you keep both hands on the wheel, which makes for a safer driver. 4.The clutch is only necessary for startup and stopping only, which in return prolongs the life of the clutch 5. Redues the drivers skill requirements, through the ease of operation. Less on the job training 6. It is easier for the operator to maneauver around the truck or getting to the bunk. I have not heard many bad things about the auto shifts, they are very practical and efficient. Many large companies are turning to auto shifts because of the savings. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions about the autoshift. Thanks, Dustin Lofdahl Bennett's TruckSource
Posted by Dustin Lofdahl on July 19, 2007 at 1:10 PM

You may not be aware of it but there are two different Eaton Fuller programs out there that run the autoshift. There are some advantages to each depending on your application. If you are an "old school" driver and like the control that a standard transmission gives then you might want to go the other way. The final point I will make about autoshifts is that they do affect the resale value of a truck. Autoshifts fit a very narrow band of people in the secondary market and since that is the case you may have some difficulty in reselling your truck when you get ready to buy something else. Thanks Doug Shields www.aztrucksource.com
Posted by doug shields on July 23, 2007 at 11:57 AM

One complaint I have is it takes a long time going into gear. What I mean is when you select "Drive" it can take up to 30 seconds to go into gear so you can get rolling. The truck (2001 Sterling with 320 Cat) has been that way since day one. The best way I have found to do it is select "D" and then push the cluth really fast and GO ALL THE WAY DOWN and it usually goes into gear pretty quick. Once moving, it is fabulous to drive.
Posted by Tom Breit on July 29, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Posted by Dave Houk on September 3, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Posted by Dan orwig on October 15, 2007 at 8:24 PM

I owned a Freightliner FL112 converted into a toterhome by Haulmark. Tranny was awesome. Had an Eaton 10 speed autoshift. Computer adjusted shifting patterns based on being loaded or bobtailing. Never had a problem like you discribed about getting it into gear. Posted by Dave Houk on September 3, 2007 at 6:50 PM Dave you mentioned the computer adjusted paterns when bobtailing, My FLD120 seems to not skip the necissary gears when bobtailing. Its the 2000 10 speed Dose anyone think it malfuntioning. Posted by Dan orwig on October 15, 2007 at 8:24 PM
Posted by danojack on January 26, 2008 at 10:23 PM

SORRY FELLA'S I guess this autoshift might be ok if you hauled styrofoam or air but I haul oversize loads, (ie. 100,000 or heavier and we our dealship gave our company 3 aof the freightshakers with 10 speed-O autoshifts to try out for sixty days. I would advise a good ol fashioned 13 deep or something of the sort if you haul any weight~!!
Posted by Jumbo on January 21, 2009 at 12:24 AM

I agree, in some occasions the heavy loads from a start, with an incline the autoshift can never make it to the next gear. Even with the jake. Even bobtailing, with enouph incline can be an issue. It doen't jump up to it's proper gear. How ever, after up to speed that trans is right on, from down shiting or just dropping to climb, the engine and trans are in harmony. My mobile home hauls are local and many never see the interstate. The autoshift can aid the driver such as. When one hand is holding lunch the other a mic, a cell phone wedged up by your neck. And your focused on the wide swing from the two lanes your in fine tuning the squeez your 14x70 though a turn lane made for VW Bug. Not to mention the mirrors, traffic, tailswing and that pissed off teenager that got around the escorts, Wide Load Signs, flashing lights and that sense of better gudgement. "Buddy", that autoshift is doing it,s job.
Posted by danojack on January 21, 2009 at 6:06 PM

All of us that drive these things have our preference as to the things we like in our truck but Damn!! In Dustin Lofdahl's post he listed as a good reason to get a autoshift is because you need less Driver SKILL???? Come on brother, if it comes down to that then maybe ya don't need to be behind the wheel in the first place! I'll pay for ya out of my pocket for some training if need be because I don't want to be beside you on a mountain pass
Posted by Jumbo on January 22, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Oh dang, sorry bout gettin a bit worked up there. That dude is from a dealership he ain't a driver...lol I guess I'll go ahead and finish this run while its still safe.
Posted by Jumbo on January 22, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Quite understandable, I got carried away with my example where Autoshifts can be helpful. Owning your own bussiness of 25 year of structure hauling, you tend to see it all. It's about being focused and watching out for the other guy. We all can relate to some of the benifits. But not so often on open highway. Maybe the shift knob helps keep real drivers awake.
Posted by danojack on January 23, 2009 at 3:29 PM

im going to buy a new pete but i am looking at the allison 6 sped automatic for the 386 or 387 pete.does anyone have any idea if they are good up hill at 80 000 lbs.I v heard that the eaton 18 sp autoshift has freezing problems in canada.and the 13 sp autoshift is too small for my job.please help anyone.
Posted by zefi on January 25, 2009 at 9:46 AM

An Allison 6 speed, up hill, 80,000? You best getting real teck info, for thoughs #. RPM's, rear end ratio, locking torque converter points. and some one knows that truck. Best of luck.
Posted by danojack on January 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

If you want to become an O/O you probably are going to buy used since your just getting into the bis. or if you've been driving for a while that's great. I suggest that you stay away from automatic trans. because the risk is to great buying used. A breakdown on an atuo trans. will cost you greatly. I wouldn't even buy one new. Regards-30yr driver.
Posted by Gerrie on March 13, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for your opinion Gerrie!
Posted by TruckerJim on March 13, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I am about to purchase a Freightliner with an autoshift. The motor was rebuilt by a reputable shop. The question I have is what is the life expectancy of the auto shift and the cost of rebuild. It drives great and shifts ontime. I have read all the pros and cons posted here by all the pros and to me it seems to be more personal preference by what is said.
Posted by Rigo on March 19, 2009 at 5:36 PM

(1) if ya think a 13 auto is gonna be too small then ya surley don't want a 6 speed allison. (2) If you are contemplating becoming an O/O my advise would be DON"T!!! It's tough going for us right now with fuel costs. Jump in someone's company truck and get yer paycheck every friday. Just my opinion, good luck.... Jumbo, 38 yr driver
Posted by jumbo on March 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I could be wrong but I was under the impyession the Allison 6 was used primarily in transit busses and straight trucks and such. in 1980 i drove a cab over freightliner with a 5 speed allison believe it or not! We were leased to TSMT and if ya know anything about tri-state they haul 100% overweight, legnth... and within a year all the trucks with the autos were being converted back to 13 manuals. i'm sure they have come a long way since then with the advent of the puter dictating what it does so... flip a coin
Posted by Jumbo on March 25, 2009 at 7:48 PM

does any body now about any other trucking company's besides the u.s. xpress company i now there is some other truck company's out there that have auto shift trucks i would really like to now
Posted by charley brooks on July 11, 2009 at 9:39 AM

MAVERICK RUNS AUTO SHIFT TOO.
Posted by ALAN on August 25, 2009 at 8:53 PM